Rome, a Mecca for painters and sculptors since the seventeenth century, continues to serve as muse and subject for beginning and established artists. Students will become part of the fabric of the city, as they paint and draw directly from millennia-old landmarks and in the gardens and streets of lesser-known areas. Peter Benson Miller, accomplished art historian and Rome resident, will lead regular on-site discourses and field trips. The curriculum will be complemented by evening lectures and receptions at the American and British Academies and by visits to the city's diverse contemporary art galleries.
- Daily plein–air painting in watercolor, gouache and acrylic
- Daily drawing, plein–air or transcribing masterworks in churches and museums
- Weekly on–site seminars with art historian
- Weekly group critiques and Visiting Artist critiques
- Daily individual on-site critiques
- Opportunities to visit Venice, Siena, and Arezzo
- Field trips to Pompeii and Florence with art historian
- Student Housing in Rome is included (educational services)
- Airline travel or other transportation to and from Program is not included
View of gardens at student housing (photos right)
***All Rome Art Program session information and inclusions are subject to change prior to June 1, 2013 and are based on information available as of February 1, 2013. Information may fluctuate and the Rome Art Program does not assume responsibility for errors or omissions.
Full 8-week Program: (June 1 – July 28, 2013): Tuition, including triple occupancy accommodations $8,090
4-week June Session: (June 1 – June 28, 2013): Tuition, including triple occupancy accommodations $4,490
4-week July Session: (July 1 – July 28, 2013): Tuition, including triple occupancy accommodations $4,490
A limited number of scholarships will be awarded by the admissions committee based on merit and availability of funds.
Students are strongly encouraged to apply for the 8-week session and those who apply for the full 8-week program will have priority on wait lists.
©Rome Art Program, Inc. All Rights Reserved.